Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Lovely Loreto

I just got back home from a really nice trip to Abruzzo where I visited my father's family. They are from a small town in the mountains called Loreto, near Pescara, a larger city by the Adriatic coast. This is also the town my eldest brother is from. I have always enjoyed visiting there and spending time with my aunts, uncles and cousins. It makes me feel like I understand my roots, heritage, father, self better. Small town folk in Italy, especially this town, have a penchant for generosity, good home cooking and hospitality. I was so comfortable there, I did not want to leave. It was definitely worth the plane, train and bus rides to finally reach them.
Once I had returned to Sicily, my father called to see how my trip was and if his family treated me with respect and warmth. I was happy to tell him yes and he, in turn, was very obviously happy and proud to hear that. I was able to find a moment and place where I felt completely welcome and loved. I can definitely say that when you leave your family and home, the smallest displays of love, affection and nurturing can make the biggest difference in the world. The simplest things seem to be the most important. I realize how much I care about respect, love, sensitivity and kindness toward others. I have a real intolerance for mean people, the older I get..the worse it's getting. I will be making frequent trips to lovely Loreto.

No comments:

Post a Comment